James (Puchie) Rose

James A Puchie Rose contributed greatly to the Garland community and its youth through the organizing, managing, and sponsoring of area baseball programs. Growing up on a farm at Audelia and Church Roads, Puchie as he was fondly referred to, early in life developed a love for baseball and later played the sport while attending the Vickery School. An outstanding left-handed pitcher, he subsequently played sandlot ball at Dallas' Reverchon Park and then played semi-pro ball from 1934 to 1936 for Anna in the North Texas League. After 1936, he played baseball in the Dallas city majors. Puchie moved to Garland in 1942, and in 1947 organized, managed, and played for the Garland Grays, a team of adult amateurs, which he continued until 1951. In 1951, Puchie Rose worked with other sports minded citizens, including Dr. Willard Brown, to organize a Little League baseball program in Garland. In addition to 15 minor division teams, six major division teams were formed, outfitted with uniforms and equipment and sponsors were secured. Puchie helped to organize and manage the Rebuilders team, which in 1952 won 19 of 20 games. In 1952, he was one of the four managers directing the Garland Little League All-Stars, who advanced further in the playoffs than have any other Garland representatives. Garland won district and sectional tournaments before losing in the semifinals of the five state Region VII tournament to Little Rock, Arkansas, by one run. Little Rock went on to beat Houston in the finals to advance to the World Series, and Garland with Puchie's help went on to defeat Portales, New Mexico, 3 to 0, for regional third place. In 1956, Puchie Rose managed the Williams Estates team in the Colt League, and in 1963-64 he served as President of the Garland Colt League. Rose later managed a Connie Mack League team in Garland, and even after he stopped managing teams, his business, J.A. Rose Paint Contractors, sponsored Garland Colt League teams. Puchie Rose truly was an outstanding baseball contributor in the City of Garland.S